Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My New Job


I am doing tissue culturing. Infront of the pathology section with my friends.
I have started working in a biotechnology lab as a scientific officer. The name sounds so complex...but what I am doing is not that complicated. What I have been basically involved for the past few weeks is doing media preparation for plant tissue culture either for regeneration or for multiplication. This is basically puttting together nutrients (both macro and micro) plus hormones for growth, root and shoot formations. This are then put together with agar which is a sea weed that holds the nutrients togther. This is then poured into small vials and put them in for use. Another thing I do is the plants that are kept in the incubation root, are brought out for regeneration. This is basically maintaining the germplasm collection so that the plants species there are kept alive and are not lost.

Thats what I am doing so far...hopefully I will come up with a proposal to work on something of my own.
Thanks for reading

2 comments:

Stephanie Cole said...

lena, you are a super-smart scientist now, aren't you?! :)

Lena Yual said...

I wish I could..may be Ill go for grads school next year than I would say I am super smart scientist...hehehe